Sunday, June 12, 2011

altered bits mixed media art zine

It is finally available - Alicia Caudle's Altered Bits Mixed Media Art Zine! I am so very excited and honored to have been included in this zine, which is available in print for the first time. 20 fabulous mixed media artists (and myself) have contributed to this issue and I can't wait to get my hot little hands on a copy.


Doesn't it make you wish you could look inside?

My contribution was a necklace for the theme notorious. I chose the magpie as my subject - notorious for its thieving of bits and pieces of shining stuff. I used one of those protective pocket watch cases I have been finding at the flea market and created a little assemblage inside of it - an image of a magpie, a wire nest, bits of bling... you get the idea.


I created the necklace with a ribbon of shimmering sari silk in green/black - which reminds me of a magpie's feathers - and an old watch chain. Then I created the magpie's stash - this was like going to the flea market - a pewter button, beads, a coin, a recycled rhinestone brooch, a small antique key, various recycled jewelry dangles and some more sari silk. All the sort of things I imagined a magpie would get excited about. I mean, even I get excited about them!



  

Thank you so much for letting me be a part of this incredible zine, Alicia!!!

17 comments:

Luthien Thye said...

oh wow!!!! congrats Renate!!! this is so cool my fren! so so cool!!!

Beverly Herman said...

Renate that is AWESOME! Congratulations. I love the combination of materials you used in your design.

lilylovekin said...

The zine looks like fun. Your necklace is FABULOUS!!!! I love the magpie theme and that you put the little collection of items inside the pocket watch, how great. The silk is lovely with the metal- all in all it is a wonderful piece.

sharon said...

F A N T A S T A S T I C !!!!! This is exceptional my friend , and a huge congrat's to you for being included in this! Your necklace is a gorgeous combination of elements that tells a wonderful story!

steufel said...

Ist die toll, Renate! Und wo gibt es das Magazin? Das muss ich haben!

Mary Newton Designs said...

Gorgeous! And congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Gratuliere dir, hast du verdient. Die Kette ist wundervoll. Liebe Grüße, Inge

Cindy said...

CONGRATULATIONS, Renate!!!! I'm really excited for you! I can't wait to learn more about this eZine - it looks like it is filled with gorgeous mixed media art - I'd love a copy! Your contribution looks fabulous - it caught my eye immediately on the cover.

Esther said...

oh WOW!! congrats Ren!! this zinz looks fantastic and your necklace... beautiFUll!! romiz

Mary Harding said...

Wow Renate!! Love the idea of the magpie stash inside the pocket watch case. And the idea of the random collecting of bright bits. Such a poetic way to talk about jewelry and art and people. And then to make it so gorgeous. Congrats. Hope to see the eZine.

mairedodd said...

such well deserved recognition and inclusion - your necklace is so wonderful - i love all of the components and how you brought them together... i hope to see the whole zine...

Lisa said...

Renate, So that beautiful work of art is yours...
I love your contribution...what a fabulous and unique piece! Looking forward to receiving my copies of this delightful book!!

romantic decay said...

Congratulations! Your necklace is wonderful.

Flotsam Tide said...

Congratulations Stregata! This book looks so interesting, and your necklace is a stunning contribution. I am going to try and find a copy of it.

ANNETTE HUSBAND said...

G'day Renate
thanks again for dropping by my blog and leaving a message....you always make me feel honored when you do as when I came her to see what you have been up too I'm so blown away by your work and talent.All your recent pieces are awesome!!!Congrats re the zine too...love love love the magpie necklace.
hugs
Annette In Oz

Barry said...

Wow - S (R) - famous people one connects with - both you and Lisa. Congratulations on being published; but also on such a thoughtful and really well put together piece. I envy you and your trips to the flea markets - you seem to come up with so many treasures that you combine so well. Go well and continue to create well. B

Anonymous said...

i am so in love with this piece, renate, and want to let you know that it was a HUGE honor to have it in my zine. it's so unique and gorgeous! thank YOU for being in the zine. :)