Saturday, October 29, 2011

Wild-life and a gem and mineral exhibition

It has been a crazy week. Life has been a bit wild and there has been plenty of wildlife. One of my cats made me a present of a (dead) juvenile rat; there was a young weasel being chased by a gang of cats last night and I still haven't solved the riddle of who put the live vole in the beverage cooler of the fridge... guess somebody wanted his fresh vole chilled. And then there was this guy - hawk or a falcon - that flew smack into the neighbor's window and fell to the ground, stunned.



He was a bit 'fuzzy' in the head for quite a bit. I carried him around in my hands to keep him warm and away from the cats and was finally able to set him in a tree. But not before he showed me just how powerful his talons are - ouch! Glad I'm not a mouse or a sparrow. Anyway, he apparently did not receive any drastic injury, because he did fly up higher into a tree on another lot before it got dark.

Yesterday was the annual mineral und gem exhibition in Munich. I didn't have too much time to spend there, since I had to get the kittens to the vet's in the afternoon, but I used my time well - at least, I think so.



Ivory coloured bamboo coral sticks - they remind me of bones. So cool.


Matte jasper beads, that look like they are part of a prehistoric cave painting. Gotta love something like that.


Etched and faceted agate beads - I would have loved these in matte. But even so, they are quite something.


Tiny faceted briolette beads, probably jade - although they were labeled prehnite.


So in love with these amber pieces. Nice matte finish.


Some treasures from Africa - a couple of new sand cast focal pendants, a lot of old coins, some very old agate beads and two very old worn ring focals.

Gorgeous matte (notice a trend here?) labradorite nuggets and matte (!) hematite beads. Love how the matte finish on the hematite makes them look so much more interesting.


Big raw tourmaline crystals that have been drilled.


Black tourmaline (shorl) that have been cut and polished into a crystal shape and drilled.


 Some more lovely jasper pieces.


Some prehnite cabouchons. For some reason, my camera refuses to depict the gorgeous glowing green of these. You will have to take my word for it.

19 comments:

mairedodd said...

what a beautiful bird... and to hold it is amazing...
ok, these finds are incredible - the matte finishes are my favorite as well... but those tourmaline crystals? no words...

SummersStudio said...

I quite like hawks and am happy you were able to get this back on its wings, so to speak. I like your trend towards matte beads. They are all quite lovely.

Luthien Thye said...

OMG!! that bird looks gorgeous!! those eyes ... my gosh, and i think besides the talons, that beak would be something to reckon with too.

you means you bought all of those beads? my jaw is about to drop off!!

Valerianna said...

Wow, so many amazing things! The bird looks a bit like our American Kestrel - a small-ish falcon - wonder if this is a European version? Talons are something, aren;t they? I'm smitten with the pile of sliver from Africa, especially that half moon, and the amber pieces, what wonderful finds, all.

Unknown said...

That falcon was fabulous sitting there in your hands. Like holding a small powerful beautiful flying velociraptor!

Those finds from the show are absolutely gorgeous! I can not wait to see what you concoct with them. And the leanings toward those matte finishes...aahh perfection!

Silke Powers said...

Oh, Renate, I can't believe you got to hold that beautiful bird!! Daniel will be so jealous when I show the pictures to him... I'm glad he was ok!

And your finds at the show are gorgeous! I can alreayd seen them in your beautiful art...

Hugs, Silke

lunedreams said...

You are such a Dr. Doolittle! Your hawk friend is beautiful--how many people can say they cuddled a hawk in their hand? Sounds like you saved him from certain doom. Love your finds--esp. the sandcast components, and the etched (AND faceted--gorgeous!) B&W agate beads. Love to see what you do with that freeform amber too, those are very cool.

sharon said...

How incredible and beautiful that bird is , and you got to connect with him!
Your beads are AMAZING...so many, so beautiful! I hope you have time to make something!

Flotsam Tide said...

What a haul of incredible beads. I love everything you selected, those matte jasper beads have me swooning. And those Amber pieces! So incredible, I can't wait to see what you will create.

xoxo!

Anonymous said...

Was für ein Foto. So ein schönes Tier. Deine "finds" sind toll. Schade, das es bei uns nicht so eine Edelsteinmesse gibt. Habe ich jedenfalls noch nicht gesehen. Dir ein schönes Wochenende, ich hoffe, die Katzen sind jetzt alle soweit über dem Berg. Liebe Grüße aus BW und noch ein schönes Wochenende, Inge

Jennifer MacNeill said...

Beautiful bird, glad you saved it!

Gayle said...

ah......beautiful stones and beads......you will be having some fun!!

Kim Schoenberger said...

beautiful beads, I've been a bead collector since I was 14. I particularly like the amber and bits from africa. Drool... I would love some of them!!!!

Hopemore Studio said...

Oh you are such a brave girl going anywhere near that injured bird. Sorry you paid for it, so to speak, but I'm sure it is better off because you tried to help.

I have never been to a gem show, often thought about it but was too worried at the damage I'd do to the finances.

btw your comment today TOTALLY made my day..just what I needed!!

Angie

Barry said...

R-you have such brilliant visitors: and yet again such great finds at the mineral exhibition - your collection just grows and grows. Go well. B

Cindy said...

Renate, you have had so much happening this weekend. I can't believe you are holding a hawk. I agree, I think it was awfully brave. I'm not sure I could have held a hawk like that. You have such a kind heart and really looked out for this bird. I'm glad that it sounds like he recovered.

I sure enjoyed seeing your bead finds - each so unique and beautiful!

mermaiden said...

that is an amazing haul! i love the feeling of antiquity running through it all.

Carla Trujillo said...

What beautiful finds! Looks like an early X-Mas for you!!!

Stories They Tell said...

Wow, Renate, I am in total envy about your finds-- the matte jasper, amazing! And the amber! You are so lucky to have found that falcon, I have always wanted to work with those birds. Have super fun with these neat stones, my friend!